This chemistry course is designed for students who have clearly demonstrated their ability and interest in science. This course is for students who are determined to pursue a course of science studies in college. Areas of study will include the metric system, scientific notation, writing of chemical symbols and formulas, molar and mass relationships, stoichiometry, atomic theory, the periodic table, chemical bonding, kinetic theory, nature of solutions acids and base reactions, etc.
- Apply useful problem solving strategies such as factor-label method, estimation, recognition of similar patterns and problems, use of calculator, application of the scientific method
- Relate concrete facts to abstract ideas.
- Learn and use the language of chemistry.
- Relate everyday experiences with matter and energy to molecules, atoms and ions, etc.
- Work safely in the laboratory with others and demonstrate basic laboratory techniques and skills.
Marking Period Criteria :
Marking period grades will be based on the following: homework, class work, handouts, laboratory reports, boardwork, quizzes, test, projects and class participation points. Grades will be determined by percent (student total points divided by total points offered during that marking period).
Semester Final grade criteria :
Each cardmarking is worth 30% of the final grade. The semester exam is worth 10% of the final grade.
- Is available to all students generally Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 2:30 – 3:30 pm as school and personal commitments allow. Please sign up to make and appointment to meet with me, or a peer – tutor after school.
- Mandatory tutoring sessions will be assigned for remediation for student who do not pass test and parents will be notified.
Late Assignment policy :
It is expected that all student turn in assignment completed and on time. No late work will be accepted and will receive Zero credit.
Make-Up Work Procedure :
Excused Absences :
Students who are absent (excused) will be given a period of time equal to the number of days absent plus one additional day to turn in make-up assignments. If corrected work from other students has already been handed back an no alternative assignment is available, students must make up work at the next available tutorial session. If laboratory make-up is required, the student must arrange to attend the next scheduled after school lab make-up day. Special arrangement will be made for extenuating circumstances. Some labs will not be made up. Student will not be given credit for assignment missed due to unexcused absences.
Unexcused Absences :
An unexcused absence will result in zero points for any assignment, activity, quiz, test, etc that took place on the day of the absence. No exceptions will be granted.
Missing scheduled Make-Up Sessions:
- Students who have an unexcused absence from any scheduled make-up will receive NO points for the assessment they were scheduled to make up.
- Students who have an excused absence from any scheduled make-up session must contact the teacher as soon as possible.